Sunday, March 27, 2016

B 21 - Frisco, TX

I'm a burger snob.  In my mind, burgers are split into two different categories:
1. The classic, greasy burger
2. The chef inspired burger
If the first one is done right, the paramedics will lose grip on your arm due to grease when they take you to the hospital for cardiac arrest.
If the second one is done right, you will marvel at the intricacies of the beef, the chew of the bread, the zany flavors of the sauce, and the texture of the toppings.  All flavors highlight the beef.
After finding out there was another burger place in Frisco, I raced there as quickly as possible only to wait in line behind another couple who were confused about the menu. I thought they were delightfully clear.  Points to them.   I looked over the menu at the wide array of flavors.  Some of them sounded good, like bacon burger, but the meat here is supposed to be healthy so I was pretty sure I could rule out burger type number 1.  I wasn't going to waste calories on a chef inspired bacon burger (please note subtle sarcasm... bacon burgers should be dripping with grease and cheese.  If you advertise lean beef, leave the bacon for others to cook with) so I went with a Mexican themed burger... which is just a normal burger with avocado and onion strings on it.  Take that, Mexico.  We have boiled your entire culture and cuisine down to one fruit.  It is a worthy fruit to be known for but in the end, it's the Aztec word for testicle so, again, you lose.
The fries are a-la-carte.  This annoys me and I'm taking points off. I paid 8 bucks for a burger.  Give me the dang fries.  They do offer sweet potato fries so I will soften my animosity slightly.
Once you order your food, you walk over to a completely separate counter and order your shake.  They advertise real ice cream but I used to work at Dairy Queen as a teen and I know a mix when I see one.  Plus, it's not Bluebell so points off.  I ordered a creme-brulee shake on a separate transaction (you're welcome, Bank of America) and sat down to wait for my food.
The manager brought me my food with a smile and asked if I needed any sauces for my fries.  The plurality of "sauce" caught my attention.  He took me to the condiment counter and there, like a glowing angel chorus, was the sauce selection.  This was actually my favorite part.  There was a marshmallow dip for the sweet potato fries, several different varieties of ketchup, BBQ sauces, hot sauces, and mustards.  I tried several and all were good for a condiment.  Points awarded.
The burger was ok.  Just that.  Ok.  It wasn't dripping.  The bread wasn't particularly interesting.  It was a buttered Brioche.  The menu told you that several times.  I was eating a buttered Brioche with flavors that overpowered the burger. At least the Brioche was buttered, though.  If I ever get an un-buttered Brioche, me and the chef will have words.
The fries were good: crunchy without being crispy, filling in tact so you actually believe you are eating an unprocessed sweet potato.  Slathered in marshmallow cream, you hardly remember that sweet potatoes are healthy.
The star of the show was the shake.  Even though it wasn't made with real ice-cream and was a bit on the sweet side, the flavor was very similar to a creme brulee.  It also came with a toasted sugar disc.  It was both inventive and pretty.  I will give them points.
In the end, I give B21 a 6 out of 10.  Good shake spot and good fries.  Ordering should be simpler with only one transaction.  The burger should commit to either a really creative grouping of flavors, or a sloppy mess of all things bad for you.  This is the main course and I feel like they spent more time on the sides. Lastly, DON'T MAKE ME PAY EXTRA FOR FRIES!

Happy eating, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment