Friday, February 26, 2016

Thai Noodle Wave - Frisco, TX

Thai Noodle Wave.  Frisco, TX
Normally, I don’t review chains but when I first ate here, I didn’t know it was a chain.  If you’re going to eat at a chain Thai place, this is it.
Thai Noodle Wave is a new style Thai place with some seriously good food.  The process of getting to your table is easy.  A sign says to wait.  The decorations are interesting.  A giant tree silhouette climbs the far wall and is back lit with green.  Some spore like balls hang from the ceiling other places.  I try not to giggle as the words “dangling balls” run through my mind.  The kitchen is partially open to the restaurant so you can hear the sizzle, smell the food, but can’t really make sure the cook isn’t playing paper, scissor, rock with a homeless guy between dishes.
The waiter brings me water with lemon.  This bugs me.  I don’t like fruit in my water but it’s so common now that I may only take off half a point.
Normally I’d order a Pad Thai.  It’s a classic but I’m in the mood for curry.  I ordered a Southern Sweet Curry.
Lord. Have. Mercy.
A sweet coconut curry with layers of heat that spread evenly across my tongue, potatoes and carrots that are warm but still firm to the tooth, and a pile of yellow, sweet rice piled in the middle.  At first bite, I was ready to date it.  Halfway through and this dish could have had its way with me and I wouldn’t have even asked it to be gentle. By the end, I needed a cigarette.  
I came back a few days later, nervously looking over my shoulder to make sure no coworkers were present.  I asked for a side of pineapple to go with this.  The cold, sweet, acidic fruit melded perfectly with this dish.  I immediately began to unbutton my shirt but the waiter threatened to call the police so I refrained and blamed it on the heat of the dish.
I ordered a fruit smoothie to go.  Lychee.  Sounds like Leech-ee.  It was extremely sweet.  It had floral notes to it.  I need to actually eat a real lychee so I have a base line to go from.  Up until today, I thought it was a made up flavor for yogurt and bubble tea places.  Who knew?

I give Thai Noodle Wave a 10 out of 10.  This is not a traditional Thai place.  Don’t come here looking for authentic.  When you do visit, make sure you can get to confession shortly after and don’t forget your smokes.


Happy eating, y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment